We Are a Non Profit Team
The Heart & Stroke Foundation of Barbados Inc. is a non-profit organisation registered under the Companies Act 1982 of Barbados registration number 269 and under the Charities Act 1979-2 registration number 82. The Foundation was founded in 1985 as the Heart Foundation of Barbados and in 2006 embraced stroke to become the Heart & Stroke Foundation of Barbados.
The Foundation came to fruition thanks to the shared initiatives of The Lions Club of Barbados South, through its Health and Social Services Committee, then under the chairmanship of Mr. H. (Dru) Symmonds SCM, J.P., and Professor Trevor Hassell, Cardiologist, who was that time Head of the Department of Medicine and of the Cardiac Unit at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Barbados.
The Chief Medical Officer of Health’s report for several years has ranked disease of the heart and blood vessels as a leading cause of death in Barbados as indeed it is internationally. It is against this background that the Foundation brings together physicians and laymen committed to voluntarily addressing this major health problem.
The Foundation is a non-governmental organisation and receives no funding from government. Therefore the organisation is very heavily dependent upon donations and fees to carry out our work and relies considerably upon the financial support of individual Barbadians.
Our motto “Everybody has a heart” speaks to the fact that all of us as individuals should be committed to living healthy lifestyles.
Our Vision & Mission
Our Mission is to keep people heart healthy and reduce suffering and death from heart disease and stroke.
Incidences of Heart / Stroke in Barbados
- Developing a broad scientific and medical programme in the field of heart disease and stroke designed to seek new knowledge, disseminate new and existing knowledge and apply it for the benefit of persons suffering from these diseases.
- Engaging in a nation wide programme of public education and awareness to inform people regarding the importance of heart disease and stroke as a problem and what can be done to prevent or control them.
- Developing a nation wide organisation through which these purposes may be realised.
- Securing the funds needed to finance the Foundation’s programmes and operations by appropriate methods.
The Companies Act CAP 308 By-Law:
A by-law relating generally to the conduct of the affairs of:
THE HEART AND STROKE FOUNDATION OF BARBADOS INC
BE IT ENACTED as the general by-law of The Heart and Stroke Foundation of Barbados.
- Read the By-Laws of HSF Barbados
You can also see our published Accounts and Annual General Meeting notes.